Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:19:10 +0100
From:      Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@intercom.es>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   OT: Shub-Internet swallows my packets

	Hello,

	I have quite an annoying problem that is (presumably )
not directly related to FreeBSD, but I hope somebody here will
have a clue about what's going on.

	I connect to the Internet through a phone line on which
I run kernel ppp. My IP address is dynamically assigned every
time I call my ISP. Simple as it sounds, from time to time packets
stop coming in through the modem. I can see how packets still go
out, but they never get a reply from outside. It seems this
happens whenever (but not always ) I spawn a lot of http
transactions in a very short time, say pages with lots of frames
and images or maybe accessing several hosts at a time. Not so
often the problem appears also in the middle of a lengthy
http download (a single big document and nothing else ). I have
run tcpdump on the ppp0 interface and it only confirms what can
be deduced from the modem lights, to the best of my understanding.
The link never seems to recover from this state; the only fix up to
now has been hanging and dialing up again, after what everything
works as it should. So can anybody make sense of this ?  What steps
may I take in order to find the culprit ?

	TIA
					Manuel Garcia