Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:47:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Inge Thorin Eidsther <ies@runbox.no>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re: Freecom Traveller II CD-RW supported in 4.6?

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Inge Thorin Eidsther wrote:

> Appreciate your hints, thank you very much.
> I didn't know the drive was ATAPI, that is not
> mentioned on the product web page.

The proprietary interface on the back of their various drives is just a
buffered IDE interface on a different connector: the cables then adapt
that to whatever interface is required.  The larger drives are just a
standard 5.25" drive in a case with an adapter board and PSU - you can
unplug the supplied drive and substitute any standard IDE device (I've
used this on occasion to attach an external hard drive to a laptop).

> However, are you aware of any similar drives from Freecom
> or other manufacturer that _are_ SCSI? It would be nice to use
> cdrecord because it is more full-featured, and several front-ends
> exist for it...

All the slimline (15mm) drive mechanisms that I've ever seen have been
ATAPI - they're made to fit internally on laptops, where SCSI is never
used.  The Freecom (and similar) products are just these drives in
external cases.

Full-size SCSI drives are readily available - I have one that I used to
use in conjunction with an adaptec PCMCIA SCSI card - but they're much
bigger and heavier than the Freecom product (my one is in a steel case!).

> If the atapi-cam patch(es?) work nicely around this, then I
> shall not complain.

I've not used them, but other people have reported good results with
cdrecord on this mailing list.

http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/

> what CAM is, but I'll get there, eventually...

man 4 cam