Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 19:45:34 +0100 (BST)
From:      Ian Pallfreeman <ip@tharg.eu.org>
To:        ken@plutotech.com (Kenneth D. Merry)
Cc:        ip@mcc.ac.uk, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compression on Exabyte 8700LT?

Ken Merry wrote:
> Ian Pallfreeman wrote...
> > [...]
> > How do I permanently enable compression?
> > [...]
> 	Well, this may be fixed by PR kern/5274.
> [...]
> 	So, you might want to try applying the patch in that PR, and see if
> it fixes your problem.

Sorry -- I didn't mention that I'd already found that and applied it, before
squeaking to the mailing lists.

> Most drives I've seen come with compression turned
> on by default, but maybe yours doesn't.

No, the cursed thing doesn't. I'd assumed it would. The "estimated N tape
blocks" numbers from the dump logs add up, though -- it's only writing 5GB.

> 	The next CAM snapshot fixes this.

Thanks! Can't spare the hardware to try it right now, but the new repository
and ftp mirror is in the orderbook...

Cheers,

Ian.