Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 06:45:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, "[Mario1-]" <mario1@PrimeNet.Com>, JbHunt <johnnyu@accessus.net>
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Marco Molteni wrote:

=)Ok guys,
=)my 2 cents opinion ;-)

	I'll add my 2 cents too since I've been awake for 72 hours
anyways.

=)There's a thing really I can't understand in all this thread.
=)Nobody said:
=)"Vince, we're sorry about what happened to you. Probably you did something
=)stupid, but _everybody_ has to learn his lesson the hard way.
=)Here you are a a checklist of books, programs and ideas to follow to
=)improve the security of your site."

	That much I'll agree with since you won't know pain until it hits
you.

=)No, everybody started to flame at him! Why? Because he choosed as his
=)subject line: "security hole in FreeBSD" instead of "I'm a sucker
=)please you security wizards help me" ?
=)
=)Do you think one can be a newcomer as an administrator, but _has_ to know
=)everything about security before he starts to work? Come on!
=)
=)Now a note about myself. I'm not a security expert, but security is
=)surely a field I like much. I'm subscribed to this list to learn.
=)In the previous examples I'm not suggesting that Vince is a sucker or
=)similar, I'm just replying to some arguments appeared in the postings.

	I know.  I mean Nate and Jordan has been in this thing for atleast
twice as long as I have.  I'm only 23 years old now.  Jordan, Nate and the
rest of the FreeBSD core team have been designing Unix from the start from
what Jordan told me back in the FreeBSD 1.0 Gamma days.  One will never
know everything and will need to learn from others.  Unless everyone is
Albert Einstein here.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]