Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 08:55:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        beth_arnold@hotmail.com (Beth Arnold)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP, modems, etc.

Beth asked:
> I just installed FreeBSD for the first time and can't get my modem to
> work.  It is a USR Sportster 33.6 modem without Plug and Play support
> that works fine under Windows NT.  I am using version 2.2.2 of FreeBSD.
> I have tried putting it on all different com ports and at different IRQ
> settings.  Originally, I used the default settings on the modem.  Com 2
> IRQ 3.  That didn't work so I enabled the sio2 and sio3 ports.  I used
> the sio2 default (0x3e8-0x3ef, IRQ 5).  I then changed the jumpers on
> the modem to the com3 irq 5 settings.  I tried com4, irq 5.  There are
> no conflicts.  Everything looks ok at boot.
>
> ex:  On com 4, IRQ 5 the sio thing looks like:
>
>      sio3 at 0x2e8-0x2ef irq 5 on isa
>      sio3: type 16550A

This means your modem is recognized by the FreeBSD kernel; you should
be able to use it.  You may need to make the device entries for it,
however.  If 'ls -l /dev/cuaa3' reports 'No such file or directory'
cd to /dev and run './MAKEDEV cuaa3' as root.

> I always have the same problem
>
> I start user process ppp and then type "term".  It looks like it is
> working, but when I type "AT" or other modem commands nothing happens.
> The AT doesn't appear on the screen, the modem doesn't say or do
> anything.   Does "ifconfig: interface ppp0 does not exist" during boot
> mean anything?

Yes, it means that your system configuration is quite confused.  The
command-line ppp program you are trying to use does not use the ppp0
device, and you do not need any entries in /etc/rc.conf for command
line ppp either.

First, edit rc.conf and remove any references to the ppp0 device.

Second, run the command 'dmesg | grep tun0' to see if you have a PPP
tunnel device configured in your kernel.  If not, you will need to
modify your kernel configuration and add at least one tunnel device, as
in:

	pseudo-device   tun     1

The GENERIC kernel FreeBSD is shipped with does contain one tunnel
device, if you haven't customized your kernel you should be safe on
this point.

Start the ppp command and type 'set device /dev/cuaa3'.  This tells ppp
which serial device (i.e. modem) to use.  Now type 'term'.

> BTW, how do I get rid of that annoying "login: login_getclass: unknown
> class 'root'" message when I log in?

This particular little problem has been beaten to death since the 2.2.2
release.  Please review the mail list archives at:

This web page will allow you to search for a topic, such as
'login_getclass'.  I'm certain you will find your answer ASAP.  ;^)

> Beth
>
> I am not gay, communist, or a spammer.  If you don't know what I mean
> don't worry about it.

Odd, I didn't get any of the above impressions from your mail.  ;^)

Usage note: please use a topical subject line for your email; it helps
others on the list determine quickly if they can help or not.  As an
example, you might have labelled this message 'PPP vs. my modem', or
words to that effect.