Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:47:32 -0500
From:      Jim Mock <mij@osdn.com>
To:        Andy Akins <andyakins@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP and ports

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 at 07:37:02 -0600, Andy Akins wrote:
> Okay, this is probibly a newibie question...but since I'm a newbie, I
> thought I'd ask. If anyone can either answer or point me to some docs
> I'd appreciate it.
>
> I've installed FreeBSD 4.2 from the CDs, and everything is running
> great. So then I set up cvsup. I'm not much of a cutting edge person -
> so I set my tag to be RELENG_4 to get the stable rather than current
> branch. I set up the other parameters, (for example, I'm cvsup'ing my
> /usr, not a cvs repository, and I'm refusing the non-english
> languages, etc)...and I request src-all, ports-all, and doc-all.
>
> Well, some of you might know what happened. Cvsup deleted all my
> ports.  *poof*.
>
> Looking through the Complete FreeBSD, I discover what I had missed:
> that for ports the only relevant tag is ., or CURRENT.
>
> Now getting the ports back is no big deal - I've got the CDs. But my
> question is: how do I keep my ports up to date?

You can use /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile.

> Do I:
>   a) Have to be running CURRENT, rather than STABLE? I'd prefer
>      STABLE...but I really want the up to date ports, especially
>      X-Free 4, becuase I have an ATI Radeon....or,

No, you don't have to run -CURRENT.

>   b) Do I need two separate cvsup-files...one with a tag of RELENG_4
>      for src-all and one with a tag of . for ports-all and doc-all,
>      and I run cvsup twice..

This will work.  Use stable-supfile for the source tree and use
ports-supfile for the ports tree.  Running cvsup twice isn't a big deal
since it only sucks down the changes and won't take too long if you do
it regularly.

See /usr/share/examples/cvsup for more examples.

- jim

--
- jim mock <mij@osdn.com> - O|S|D|N - open source development network -
- http://www.freebsdzine.org/ - jim@freebsdzine.org - jim@FreeBSD.org -