Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:13:45 -0500
From:      Julio Merino <julio@meroh.net>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-testing@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding new "test interfaces" to work with Kyua?

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wro=
te:
> On Nov 24, 2013, at 2:29 PM, Julio Merino <julio@meroh.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>>>        Trying to reconcile my diffs and get things sane again, I realiz=
e that due to refactoring (and especially after I installed devel/kyua) tha=
t prove.test.mk no longer functions for me off my branch. Are there directi=
ons for how I can program in a new test interface so I can integrate prove =
testing into Kyua?

>> What kind of interface do prove-based test programs have?  Are they
>> binaries/scripts that you can just run and assume that a 0 exit code
>> means passed and 1 means failed?  If yes, you'd just funnel them
>> through the 'plain' interface and they should just work as a first
>> cut.  (I believe this approach works for most test programs out
>> there.)
>>
>> But there are some details here:
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/kyua/wiki/TestersDesign
>>
>> and more in the kyua-tester manual page and its references.
>
> It=92s a bit more complex than that. nose and prove both implement collec=
tion and execution test features, meaning that it goes and figures out what=
 to execute (for nose it=92s a variety of parameters =97 filename, mode, et=
c =97 that determine whether or not it=92s testable; for prove it=92s all f=
iles with a .t extension), then executes it.

Bleh.  Turns out that prove-based test programs do not return 1 on
failure.  Time to write a prove tester given that I have some spare
time this week :-P

--=20
Julio Merino / @jmmv