Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 11:57:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        crossd@cs.rpi.edu (David E. Cross), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High syscall overhead?

Wes Peters said:

> Try a more meaningful benchmark, one that actually does something in
> the kernel before returning, and see how they do.  Try calling kill
> or socket/close a few hundred thousand times and see how they do.

Historically, my emphasis on FreeBSD kernel work was to make it work
best while under load, doing lots of things.  By benchmarking the
system while the system isn't really doing anything really pessimizes
the advantages of the FreeBSD choices.

Linux is indeed much faster at doing nothing!!!  I suspect that some
intrepid individual could improve FreeBSD a little, but the risk/reward
would be too severe.

Think of it like this:  since alot of desktops sit in idle loops much
of the time, perhaps the Linux philosophy has been to improve such
behavior :-).

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid