Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 15:39:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, stacy@server-001.ey.ca, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAX Filesystem size

> > 2TB or 512 4G drives.
>
> Bzzt but thank you for playing!!  ;-)  I can't believe I get to correct
> Terry of all people...  ;-)
>
> There is currently a limit of 32 possible SCSI disks, due to the sd()
> device number macros.
>
> (yes I realize this is slated to "go away", but the fact is, it's a limit
> in today's released versions)

Not if you put the drives in an external RAID array.  Then they are
one device.  You can span multiples of these using CCD to get truly
large devices.

Satoshi was dooing a 1TB using 23G disks with a external subsystems;
I don't know what the current status is (check the CCD home page for
details).

> This suggests that you could create a 128GB array out of conventional 4GB
> disks, or a 736GB array out of the new Elite 23GB drives..
>
> Or you could get yourself a RAID that appears as a single SCSI target and do
> whatever the heck you want.

Yes, that's the configuration that's meaningful.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.