Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 23:02:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        toasty@home.dragondata.com (Kevin Day)
Cc:        mi@video-collage.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS discovery

> > NFS hung ups are a strange topic, in my experience. People agree
> > that they are "bad", but one is not supposed to complain about
> > them...
>
> Don't read my post as a complaint, rather as a 'hey, why does it do this?"
> :)

The freeze on server crash comes from an outstanding RPC call that
was made, the call was ack'ed, but the response had not yet been sent.

Because the call was ack'ed, the client doesn't retry the call.
This is arguably a bug in the client code.

The easiest workaround is to use UDP NFS instead of TCP.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.