Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:50:31 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Routed and public IPs

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 10:35:19AM -0700, Duke Normandin wrote:
> Although I'm not involved in this thread, directly or indirectly,
> I want to thank you for such a great reply. I can't believe you
> and Ruslan et al -- I'm green with envy. I've saved this thread
> for future reference, however would you mind defining for me (in
> laymen's terms) the concept of bridge(4)ing? Something like:
> "bridging is using a box to bridge a gap between (public & private
> IPs??) or ?? ". I don't want your info to go to waste on this
> newbie, so I thought I'd ask. Tia...

A bridge is a network device that operates at layer two of the IP
stack, the link layer. Hubs and switches are the other most common
devices that work at layer two. A bridge does not know anything about
IP addresses, and most often, it simply forwards _all_ packets it
receives on one interface to the other. However, it is possible to run
a filter on the bridge, as was the whole point of the thread you are
following.

I personally have only used a simple bridge that passes all
packets. Some users want two computers (running different OSes) in
their offices. There is only one RJ-45 connection coming into the
room. Rather than give them each a hub, one computer gets an extra NIC
and bridges for the other. As far as the second computer is concerned,
its on the same LAN.