Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:57:58 PST
From:      "N. R.R." <robalama@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   symbolic link trouble

Hello,

I was trying to create a symbolic link to /var by following this
technique:

#mkdir /usr/var
#cd /var
#tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )
#rm -rf /var

However, this is where it gets weird.  It says:

rm: /var: Device Busy

#ln -s /usr/var /var

even after I rebooted I still couldnt remove the /var directory. And, of
course, many things wouldnt start at bootup (cron stuff, sendmail stuff,
etc., due to not finding files in the /var directory)
It would give me some errors along the lines of:

Cannot find shared library:  libXman.o.6.lib
(or something like that)

It worked fine when I did the same thing for the /tmp directory.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation?

Thanks.

Neill