Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:42:02 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Valdivia Mary Mak-CGNG56 <Mary.mak.Valdivia@motorola.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA serial card for FreeBSD

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there are any PCMCIA serial card
> out there that works for the FreeBSD operating system ?
>
> I have taken a look at /etc/default/pccard.conf.
> There was only one serial card listed. It's called
> "RFI Hotline serial card". I have searched with several
> different combinations for the "RFI Hotline serial card"
> on the web, but couldn't find the company that sells this
> card. Is RFI the company name ? Does anyone know the web
> site for this company ?

Mary,

Something must be seriously wrong with your /etc/defaults/pccard.conf file. My
system has over 70 serial cards listed. There is an entire section of the file
devoted to serial cards. Search for "# sio #". It should be about 1230 lines
into the file.

Most serial cards just work. All you need to do is use "pccardc cisdump" to
get the id string for the card and add an entry to /etc/pccard.conf (which you
may need to create) containing:

card "Manuf" "card vers"
	config	auto "sio" ?

Where the first set of quotations after "card" should contain the
manufacturer's name and the second the card version, both from tuple 4 of the
dump. (Do not include the square brackets.)

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)