Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@ocis.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Atheros PCCard recognized, IRQ Problem?

On Tue, September 26, 2006 3:27 pm, Lars Engels wrote:
> when I insert a Netgear WAG511 Atheros-based PCCard into my notebook,
>  the speakers crackle two times and nothing else happens.

The GENERIC kernel that ships with FreeBSD does not include the
Atheros drivers.  You need to manually load:
  if_ath
  wlan_wep
  wlan_tkip
  wlan_ccmp

Any needed modules will be auto-loaded by the above.  Once those are
loaded, you will be able to use the card.

If you want to compile the drivers into the kernel, you will need:
  wlan
  wlan_wep
  wlan_tkip
  wlan_ccmp