Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:04:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        SXren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, geoffr@is.co.za
Subject:   Re: CALL FOR TESTERS of new ATA/ATAPI driver..

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, SXren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> >
> > On 02-Mar-99 SXren Schmidt wrote:
> > >  Its in the works, together with the tagged queuing some of the
> > >  newer drives supports.
> > Wow! :)
> >
> > Is there any chance od adding the ability to 'wire' devices a la SCSI? :)
>
> I'll think about it, but lots of things has higher priority...

So, one of my great FreeBSD experiences was when one of the three IDE
drives in my server died, yet the system was able to survive its automated
weekly boot ten minutes later, and I could restore from a tape backup to
another drive.  The great thing about this was that I was over 500 miles
away logged in via the network performing this recovery.  Having the
drives automatically renumber themselves on the complete failure of one
drive (and it was fairly complete) would have been a disaster.  This is
especially true when one partition is used as a /tmp partition, and is
automatically cleaned at boot :-(.  Wiring devices introduce stability by
not causing unexpected behavior in the event of failure: rather than
having the mounting of partitions occur incorrectly, it merely doesn't
mount the failed partitions.

In general, I do not like the devices-allocated-in-probe-order behavior:
it doesn't take much to reorder two SCSI controllers in a kernel,
especially if we start using an automated admin tool to configure kernels
at some point.  I just don't like that failures can result in very
situation-dependent behavior.  Inserting a new CDROM device should not
renumber my existing devices.  This presumably becomes more pressing when
one starts doing hot-swap pccard-style devices.  If you leave the device
plugged in across a reboot, its device name may have changed :-(, or might
have gotten stuck ahead of the boot device in the kernel probes.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
Safeport Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/