Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:15:53 +0200
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Montgomery-Smith <stephen@FreeBSD.org>, "lioux@FreeBSD.org" <lioux@FreeBSD.org>, Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>, "freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>, Stephen, "demon@FreeBSD.org" <demon@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] A trivial change for DESKTOP_ENTRIES (take 2)

--=-JL2cdFXlNRzf6+tjcYjP

Jung-uk Kim p=ED=B9e v =E8t 14. 07. 2011 v 15:07 -0400:

> > > entry.  I assume that the filename of the desktop entry is
> > > unimportant,
> >
> > The filename of desktop entry should be 100% inconsequential, and
> > our only care should be not have two ports installing same file.
>=20
> I believe the original intention was to use executable name to make=20
> desktop file, i.e., ${PREFIX}/bin/foo -> ${DESKTOPDIR}/foo.desktop. =20

Yes, and then came ports that needed to install several icons for same
executable, with different arguments. That was the reason for the
change.

> > > and is used only internally by Gnome or whatever.
> >
> > Sounds like a bug to me.
>=20
> Why do you think there is a bug?  Basically, desktop files are=20
> meta-data for OSes which cannot handle extended attributes within a=20

No, .desktop files are just gnomeish equivalent of windows .pif files.
If they are used for something more significant, that's poor design by
my standards. That's why I wanted to get an opinion from gnome team
before taking any steps on this issue.

> file (e.g., resource fork of Mac), if I understand it correctly.  I=20
> don't see anything wrong with GNOME referencing its window manager by=20
> desktop file name rather than by executable name with obscure=20
> options.

If that .desktop file was that critical for GNOME functionality, then
why it is not installed by vendor Makefiles and have to be hacked in in
the port??

> DESKTOP_ENTRIES are for *basic* stuff and bsd.port.mk clearly says=20
> complex desktop files cannot use it:

Yes but I see no need to abandon DESKTOP_ENTRIES for a simple port like
links..

--=20
--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>
"Ragtime" contained about forty-five seconds of Elizabeth McGovern
completely topless, but it got a "PG" in 1980. I have no idea why that
did, or "Titanic" got PG-13, yet "Merchant of Venice" gets tagged with
an "R". The MPAA is an intellectual and aesthetic embarassment. --
comment from IMDb board on US movie rating system

--=-JL2cdFXlNRzf6+tjcYjP

--=-JL2cdFXlNRzf6+tjcYjP--