Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:45:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   output of /dev/dspW

I am trying to make a decent RealAudio recording using
the /dev/audio and /dev/dspW devices, then using sox to
translate them to a .wav file for encoding in RealAudio.

I'm using 2.1.6 with an SB16 card.

The "recordings" of /dev/audio are full of quantizing noise.
(cat /dev/audio > test.au, then cat test.au > /dev/audio ),
so I judged them unuseable.

Using /dev/dspW instead (cat /dev/dspW > test.raw and
cat test.raw > /dev/dspW) sounds much better. However,
sox isn't able to handle the stream. I get best results
with sox set to "raw" with 16 bit words, but the distortion
in the output .wav file is very bad. Needless to say, encoding
it to RealAudio is useless.

Anyone have any information on what the output of /dev/dspW is?
U-law, A-law? Whatever? What am I dealing with here?

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this?

-regards,
Jim Durham