Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:08:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Changing partitions or slices

On 19-Dec-99 Walter Brameld wrote:
>    I have been using FreeBSD now for about a month, my first
> experience with a Unixish system in 25 years. When I installed, I used
> the defaults for the slice sizes of my file system. My problem is, the
> / directory keeps filling up, so now I would like to change the size
> of the slices.
>
>    My questions are as follow: Is it possible to make a backup of the
> system, change the slices, then do a restore to the original system
> state? If so, what would be the procedure? In my reading, (Boy,
> learning all this new stuff can give an old man a headache!), I have
> come away with the impression that the procedure would involve doing a
> dump, disklabel, newfs, then restore. Is this the acceptable method?
> If not, is there a better one?
>
>    Thanking all of you in advance,
>
> Walter Brameld

I imagine that would work (level zero dumps, though!). However, I believe that
you first should analyze why your / fills up. When I started this a couple of
years ago I used /root just as any other account, and since it is located in /,
the latter filled up. Remedy was to keep next to nothing in /root, but use the
toor account for storage, where toor lives in /home/toor.

Another early incident made me use symlinks for /var and /tmp, they are now on
my /usr partition. Having a small /var gave printing problems when the spool
file was too large and a small /tmp filled up during
/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb, which is run on a weekly basis.

So, in toto, I think you are better off not reinstalling. Though reinstalls
make you understand some aspects of the install procedure - which could be nice
to know...

/M

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se