Date:      14 May 1999 14:40:36 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modex support (again)

Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com> writes:
> Hmm. I sent this message a few days ago and it has been silently ignored.
> Should I consider that an OK to extern the get_mode_param function in
> vga_isa.c? Or should I take that as a mass "go ahead, we're not going to
> commit the code anyway?" :(

Hmm, well, I don't like to say "go ahead, we're not going to commit
the code anyway", but I can't see the use of adding Mode X support - I
feel that the gain in functionality is too small to justify the added
complexity. You'll need to add bits to the video_info structure to
describe the encoding. AFAIK, the current model can only describe
linear and plane-per-channel encodings accurately, whereas Mode X uses
a weird interlaced encoding. The designers of the VGA chipset ought to
be taken out and shot. You'll need to hack everything that hooks into
syscons but doesn't explicitly set the video mode to check for Mode X
so they won't shoot themselves in the foot trying to address it as a
linear mode.

To summarize, it seems like a lot of trouble just to get 40 additional
scanlines and square pixels on obsolete hardware - anything that
doesn't support 'options VESA' was already obsolete five years ago.
It's not going to make FreeBSD a better desktop OS (desktop users use
X, not syscons) and its' not going to make FreeBSD a better server OS
(no, a prettier splash screen does not make your server faster).

OBTW, Mode Q has square pixels and linear addressing. I won't mind
adding support for Mode Q :)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no