Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 2020 06:06:38 -0400
From:      D'Arcy Cain <darcy@druid.net>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: WiFi hotspot keeps dropping

--GsjfEOYsWMVpGJng7KaKBuTMUZGr0SLtL

--AsO5oMFulJynnjUuEuqVWw4KJudCIIBau

On 2020-06-19 12:13, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>     If I can't keep it running can someone suggest a system test I can =
do to
>     decide that hostapd needs to be restarted?
>=20
> So, you shouldn't need to restart hostapd after a stuck beacon. It
> should recover.

That was my understanding.

>     One thing I found was lots of log entries like this:
>=20
>     ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
>=20
> So there's plenty of reasons for a stuck beacon. I've mostly fixed the
> programming problems and now it's typically really busy air.=C2=A0
>
>     From reading up on that it seems that it is just a cosmetic warning=
=2E
>     Could this be an indication of something that is killing the hotspo=
t?

> It's possible but it shouldn't be killing the interface.
>=20
> What you could try is forcing a full reset every time the NIC needs to
> reset.
>=20
> sysctl dev.ath.0.hal.force_full_reset=3D1

I have done this.  It still happened.  Note that hostapd is still
running when I restart it.

> What I suggest you do is recompile your kernel/modules with the
> following options:
>=20
> IEEE80211_DEBUG
> ATH_DEBUG
> AH_DEBUG
> ATH_DIAGAPI
>=20
> Then you'll get access to a lot more debugging tools (ie, the stuff in
> tools/tools/ath/) which we can use to diagnose what's going on.
I like to run a generic kernel and use loadable modules so I don't
compile my own kernel yet.  I will try that if I can't fix it any other w=
ay.

--=20
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.
IM: darcy@VybeNetworks.com, VoIP: sip:darcy@druid.net