Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 11:04:41 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        "Eric A. Davis" <edavis@nas.nasa.gov>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to add new system calls...

In the last episode (Apr 15), Matthew N. Dodd said:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > YES!  I've been missing this since I left my Amiga 5 years ago!
> >
> > Does the above imply watching for changes in directories, too?  Ie,
> > file added to directory, notification sent...
> >
> > What level of notification?  Do you get information saying 'file so
> > changed atime to XXX'/'file XXX added to directory', or just a flag
> > saying 'event so happened on descriptor so'?
>
> Mmm...  tripwired

Sort of like tripwire, but in real time.  The Amiga has a feature where
you could monitor a file or directory for changes.  Imagine cron
getting a signal when /var/cron/tabs changes.  Or any other daemon that
has a config file.  There's a description of the function (but not the
assosicated structures unfortunately) at

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~lucass/autodoc/dos.htm#StartNotify()

So, how many of you people _were_ Amiga hackers in a previous life?

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com