Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:26:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de0 problem 2.2-STABLE

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, spork wrote:

> Nice to see you back answering all these questions again...:)

Yeah, looks like you guys could use the extra help. :)

> I was mistaken in saying that the link can be brought back up; it stays
> dead...

That's not good.

> > The link detection is new; I know of many instances I've pulled out my
> > 21040 and the computer never knew the difference. :)  I suspect you could
> > root around in the de code and figure out where it does that and disable
> > it.
>
> What are the downsides to this?  I'd think it would be better to have the
> link seen as up when it really isn't as opposed to down if it's really
> up...  Do you have any further pointers on how to change this behaviour?

I don't understand the card driver on anything but a cursory level.  I'm
wondering if the actual card decides to go south when you pull the cable
out, and the de driver just follows.  I'd like to check this with my
Kingston 21140-AA card, but this means upgrading my primary box and I'm
trying to avoid it as long as possible.  My 2.2-GAMMA kernel is pretty
badly hacked as it is and I won't want to go through it again. :)

You might drop a letter to hackers@freebsd.org and see if they can confirm
this.  The author watches hackers so he may be able to fill you in.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo