Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:47:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Bill Farina <bfarina@venture-1.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Zone Questions

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Bill Farina wrote:
> 	Checking ns.venture-1.com.
> 	BAD: SOA record not found for ns.venture-1.com.
> 	BAD: ns.venture-1.com. has NO authoritative nameservers!
> 	BAD: All zone transfer attempts of ns.venture-1.com. failed!
> 	0 failures, 0 warnings, 3 errors.

That's OK.  You only check domains (venture-1.com) not machines
(ns.venture-1.com).

> Another 'interesting' thing that happens is when I do an nslookup on the ns
> address.  It comes out looking like;
>
> 	> ns.venture-1.com
> 	Server:  localhost
> 	Address:  127.0.0.1
>
> 	Name:    ns.venture-1.com
> 	Address:  205.213.64.11
> 	Aliases:  ns.venture-1.com, ns.venture-1.com

Means you have CNAME records for ns.  Actually a CNAME pointing at a CNAME??

I wasn't willing to experiment with that one, sorry :)  Just check through
and cleanup your CNAMEs.  The listed nameservers, ie ns.venture-1.com
*should not* be CNAMEs, they need to have A records.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com