Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 07:49:52 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>, will@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/30294: Can't unlock KDE

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 03:43:02AM -0400, Brian T. Schellenberger (bts@babbleon.org) wrote:
> In general, somehow gathering up "critical messages" might be a nice feature
> for ports.

Yes, I agree.  I'm sympathetic with Martti's position and wish
there was a useful solution.  However, there just isn't one.  The
only way to solve this problem would be for bsd.port.mk to check
for PKGMESSAGE files in each port that is installed, and when the
install operation for any of them is done, announce them to the
user at the end of the entire operation.

It's not all black and white, unfortunately.  Sometimes people
are just doing a "make configure" and suddenly this other thing
is a dependency.  Oops, now we have a 20-line pkg-message for
that other thing that's now a dependency.  It'll scroll the
configure target on the previous port, etc... choices, choices..

> In this case, the default results from the install are (IMHO) particularly
> useless, though, so perhaps instead of it just being a pkg-message, the port
> could actually stop and prompt the user for a decision about whether or not
> to chmod or, at least prompt him to acknowledge that he saw the message?

That's another problem.  Lots of people (including myself)
already take it for granted that when you run a "make install" it
will not prompt you for this sort of thing.  We'd have to set the
IS_INTERACTIVE bit on a lot more ports than we had previously...

--
wca