Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 1995 08:01:32 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        scouch@io.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with tip and Hayes 28.8 modem

    Stephen> I am trying to use 'tip' to communicate with my Hayes
    Stephen> 28.8 modem.  'tip' responds with 'unable to synchronize
    Stephen> with hayes'.

First, just verify that FreeBSD can communicate with your modem as a
generic modem.  Make this entry in /etc/remote

	hayes:dv=/dev/cuaa1:br#57600:pa=none

Substitute ``/dev/cuaa1'' with the device to which you've connected
your modem (cuaa0 == COM1, cuaa1 == COM2, etc.) and ``57600'' with the
highest bps rate your modem and computer can support.

Then type

	tip hayes

and try typing AT-commands.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

If I lived in the Wild West days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my
holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That was if some smart-aleck
cowboy said something like, "Hey look. He's carrying a soldering
iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I
could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering
iron of justice." Then everyone would get real quiet and ashamed,
because they made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could
probably hit them up for a free drink.  -- Jack Handey