Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:30:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "David P. Smith" <dpsmith@vortex.xoom.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   MMX/Sound/FreeBSD 2.2.2 -- Getting it all to work.

I already posted this question to comp.unx.bsd.freebsd.misc last
week and received no answers. Hopefully someone at this address
can help me.

Platform: 200MHz Pentium MMX with FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE.

I get the following error when I try to listen to audio files.
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

I set up MYKERNEL and configured it for sound through the following:

options SBC_IRQ=5	# PAS-16. Must match irq on sb0 line.
# PAS16: The order of the pas0/sb0/opl0 is important since the
#        sb emulation is enabled in the pas-16 attach.
#
# The i386/isa/sound/sound.doc has more information.

# Controls all sound devices
controller	snd0
device sb0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
# For normal case use next line
device opl0	at isa? port 0x388
device mpu0	at isa? port 0x330 irq 5 conflicts drq 0
device uart0	at isa? port 0x330 irq 5 conflicts vector "m6850intr"

# Not controlled by 'snd'
device pca0	at isa? port IO_TIMER1 tty

I got these IRQs and addresses from the BIOS.

I have a TC430HX Motherboard. In the manual for this motherboard it
says that the 'motherboard features a 16-bit stereo audio subsystem as a
factory installed option' ... 'based on the Yamaha YMF701 OPL3-SA FM
synthesizer. The 'audio resource mapping' table in the manual has entries
for the following: Sound Blaster, Windows Sound System, MPU-401, FM
synthesizer port, and a Game Port.

I have tried various combinations of the IRQs, DRQs and I/O addresses
as well as trying the default IRQs, DRQs, and I/O addresses in my
attempts to get this sound system to work.

After configuring MYKERNEL, I then recompiled the kernel and in /dev ran
the following command to build the audio drivers:
sh MAKEDEV snd0

After reboot I used dmesg and grep to extract the following lines:
sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
sb0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
opl0 at 0x388 on isa
opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>
mpu0 at 0x330 irq 5 drq 0 on isa
mpu0: <MPU-401 MIDI Interface 0.0 >
uart0 at 0x330 irq 5 on isa
uart0: <6850 Midi Interface>

I tried to play a realaudio file and I got nothing but static
from the Yamaha speakers. The speakers are connected correctly to
the motherboard and to each other.

Please help me with this problem. If you need more information I
will be happy to provide it. All help/solutions will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
David.
--
David Smith                        CONTACT INFORMATION
Xoom Software, Inc.                E-mail: dpsmith@vortex.xoom.xom