Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 13:59:51 -0500
From:      Shana Nielsen <shana@corp.gulf.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   2.2.6 installation

I've recently converted (at least partially) to FreeBSD.  I'm running a pen 133 with 48 Mb of RAM, and a 2.4 G hard drive, partitioned in half.  On half the partition resides NT Workstation 4.0.  On the other half resides FreeBSD.  NT was installed first so FreeBSD's boot manager can do its thing, and yet, it refuses to do the thingy.  The boot manager comes up on start up and sees both sides correctly NT as dos and BSD as BSD...but I can only boot into the NT partition.  When I created the FreeBSD slice I did set it bootable, and I've managed to get BSD to run on this machine in the past (when it was the *other* operating system that didn't want to run).  The entire IDE drive is formatted fat 16.  The BSD installation runs like an absolute dream, but on the restart it refuses to boot into bsd, and goes about the default path of booting into NT.  Since I'm at the point of pulling my hair out, does anyone have a suggestion or where I might have gone wrong?

Thanks,

Shana Nielsen

~A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice, without getting nervous~