Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 16:01:45 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Peter Lazenby <plazenby@yellowhead16.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setiathome client

Peter Lazenby wrote:

> I've just installed FreeBSD 4.0 on one of my boxes, and have a slight
> problem running setiathome client... it doesn't run. I downloaded the
> v2.4 client for FreeBSD 3.3 from the seti page, which contains the
> text mode and the x clients. Neither will run.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction, keeping in mind that I'm
> a real newbie when it comes to *nix systems?
>
> TIA
>
> peter
>
> --
> Peter W. Lazenby, C.Tech
> VOICE Treasurer (http://www.os2voice.org)
> http://www2.yellowhead16.net/~plazenby
> http://www.panaceasoft.com/imagery/
>
> ... well it worked on Monty Python!

You must enable binary compatability for 3.x in order to run Setiathome
client software under FreeBSD. We too are using the 3.3 client binary
under 4.0. Please note that xsetiathome IS not the seti client, you must
run 'setiathome -graphics' AND 'xsetiathome' in order to obtain a
graphical display of S@H on a FreeBSD box. (In my own experience I find
running 'setiathome -verbose -graphics' from a console terminal, and
then 'xsetiathome' from within X runs much stabler).
	Feel free to drop me a line if you still can't seem to get it working,
I'll be happy to help you figure it all out.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com