Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 21:46:28 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Missouri FreeNet Administration <measl@mfn.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resolution: k6-2/400 and 2.2x

Greg Lehey wrote:

> >> This was it!  Once I disable S.M.A.R.T., the problem disappeared!
> >>
> >> THANKS!
> >
> > I don't know what it is but the FreeBSD mbr sure trashes some of the
> > new systems. You were lucky. I couldn't turn off SMART.
>
> OK, this looks like the discussion we had about "dangerously
> dedicated" disks.  If your BIOS requires a Microsoft partition table
> at the beginning of the disk, you're going to have to install a
> Microsoft partition table at the beginning of the disk.

Hi Greg,

It was another one of those cases. His system was new enough that he
could turn off SMART. Motherboards that are 2-3 years old, such as my
system was, don't understand anything beyond PIO 4 and can't cope. The
DOS mbr is one solution at that point. Since IDE drives consume more
cpu than SCSI, a unique solution is building system's like yours where
you use all SCSI. However, the market is full of pretty powerfull
systems for sale out there that come configured with IDE drives. These
systems aren't going to disappear and the administrator's will have
problems.

BTW, SMART is one of those new features where the drives self-monitor.
The concept is basically a self-healing drive. Turning it off is a
step backwards. Even the new SCSI are coming out with it as a built in
feature. I don't know if I like a drive deciding that a sector is
going bad and on it's own replace it with a good spare.
--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA