Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 10:31:37 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        steve hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        Craig Huckabee <huck@slartibartfast.nosc.mil>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pty limit of 64

>> 	Is there a way to increase the number of ptys beyond 64?
>
>Id like to know this too - if you try for more than 64 and recmopile the
>kernal you get a warning - is there something someplace which uses only
>so many bits thus capping it at 64?

   Are you refering to the maxusers "> 64" warning? I just changed this in
-current to 512 users. It's never caused anything more than a warning that
can be ignored, but 512 is a more reasonable "max". Actually, the maximum
should probably be increased to the maximum that FreeBSD can support given
size limits of certain kernel data structures. ...but since I don't what
all of the limits are, I can't really pick a real max value.
   As for ptys, 32 units are fully supported for each of ttyp, q, r, and s,
and if you're not using xterms, another 32 ptys each are supported for P, Q, R,
and S...for a total of 256 ptys.

-DG