Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 15:57:01 -0500
From:      Jim Thompson <jct@blkbox.com>
Subject:   lilo: "not the first disk"

    >> Finally after the installation, I had the problem to make lilo
    >> use the MBR of the /dev/sda, it kept telling "not the first
    >> disk",

    Louis> About your problem, it bother me too. But I found a work
    Louis> around.  You said "I was able to mount the SCSI-disk from my
    Louis> older IDE-drive."  The problem is your IDE drive, Linux think
    Louis> it is the first disk.  If you want to boot from /dev/sda,
    Louis> than first unplug the IDE cable from your IDE HDD (disable
    Louis> them under BIOS will NOT do this trick).  Re run lilo, it
    Louis> should not have the problem again.

I know this is a little off-topic, but since it came up, I'll ask...

Does anyone know how to avoid the above problem, and get lilo to
recognize the SCSI disk as the boot ("first") disk in a mixed IDE/SCSI
system?  I had this problem myself, and pored over the lilo man page
looking for a workaround but found none.  That version of lilo, at
least, won't install a boot record to a SCSI disk if there's an IDE disk
present.  Perhaps my lilo is old?

BTW, with some BIOSes disabling both the disk and the IDE controller
will do the trick -- you don't have to unplug the IDE drive.  This is
true of the Award BIOS on my old Asus mobo.

Jim
--
   _| ~-    Jim Thompson               |   Flinging magnetic curses...