Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 20:44:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burning a cd

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Jim King wrote:
> >I've got a Yamah 4260 - and find that it's *incredibly* finicky about
> >the blanks.  Some name brand disks - Memorex, for example - don't
> >produce reliable disks. None of the generics (Imation, HiQ, etc.) seem
> >to work, and at least one of them causes the recorder to give up
> >before even trying to write.
> >
> >I've finally found a bulk source of disks that I've had good luck with
> >- TDK, so I'm hoping I'll feel better about it later.
>
> That hasn't been my experience with my Yamaha 4260.  I've used bulk Memorex
> (50 for $50!), HP, and some no-name CD-RW disks, and they've all worked
> fine.  Do you have the latest firmware?  (I think 1.0q is the latest.)

I used up a hundred of the Memorex disks (in bulk, 50 for $55) with no
problems. The next batch was sour - I burned four copies of one disk,
and *none* of them worked. After that, I tried a non-name disk that
was available in bulk (literally, no name was on them at all), and
they refused to burn with an I/O error on the first block. Figuring
the drive might be bad, I burned a CDRW, then called Yamaha tech
support. They said that if it burned CDRWs, then it was fine, and
Memorex media was on their trash list. I've got the first bulk TDK
disks - which they told me were fine - and we'll see.

Never had a problem with any CDRW blanks, though.

FWIW, the problems I'm having are that the disk burns fine, and mounts
- maybe. If it doesn't, it's due to bad values from the disk. Doing a
diff -R on it and the source tree usually leads to either invalid seek
values, or differences. Creating an ISO image first doesn't help
matters any.

	<mike