Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 12:08:18 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        partek@iquest.net (David Anderson)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: EIDE support

David Anderson stands accused of saying:

> I've attempted to install FreeBSD on 2 machines that are using EIDE
> cards(Promise and Siig) because they have hard drives larger than 528MB and
> the motherboard has no LBA support in it's BIOS.

Unless you are sharing the disks with other operating systems, this
is not necessary.  Just set the BIOS to the right geometry, and make
sure the FreeBSD installer has the right numbers as well.  Make sure
you keep your root filesystem under 500M, and you're laughing.

> Well, both times FreeBSD refused to work, and on one the install disk even
> refused to boot. I was told on #FreeBSD that it's because FreeBSD doesn't
> support the EIDE standard.

No, it has to do with the incompatible and bogus BIOS code on the cards.
Disable the onboard BIOS stuff and you should be fine.

> I don't have the money to upgrade these machines to SCSI, or upgrade their
> motherboards to ones with BIOS's that have LBA support, and would rather use
> FreeBSD than Linux for obvious reasons(both are servers). So, I'm curious if
> there are plans to add EIDE support?

Not necessary, or terribly useful.  "Doesn't support EIDE" means "does not
require or make use of EIDE features", not "cannot work with EIDE disks".

> Dave

]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "I seek PEZ!" - The Tick        [[