Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:07:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        David Uzzell <duzzell@saintspc.com.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD {VM and DISKLABEL}

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

>=20
> On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Konrad Heuer wrote:
> >reasons. On a 16 MB 80486 system one could really feel the advantages of
> >the FreeBSD virtual memory engine.
>=20
> In what way?

Run a program with a virtual address space of about 3 x real memory on a
Linux and FreeBSD system, listen to the noise of your hard disk and wait
for the results. Even try to kill that process from a shell. After that,
you'll be happy with FreeBSD! :-)

To my mind, Linux VM suffers from the missing possibility to completely
swap processes out. Pure paging is not a good idea when the VM system is
under very heavy load. Surely, someone with better knowledge about the VM
archtitecture of both systems could give a better explanation.

I tried to do some measurements and found that the elapsed time needed to
execute a program like such a one mentioned above is at less twice as
large under Linux compared to the elapsed time under FreeBSD.

> >FreeBSD disk partitioning is more difficult to understand for beginners.
> >You need some time before you see the advantages.
>=20
> And just what are those advantages?

Advantage 1:

You don't need to create MS-compatible partitions on a hard disk
exclusively used by FreeBSD. Thus, no MS operating system can do any harm
to such a disk.

Advantage 2:

You're accustomed to UNIX style partitioning. Thus, no problem to install
Solaris or Compaq UNIX or FreeBSD on Alpha regarding partitioning of the
disk.

Advantage 3:

Rarely you need more than one BIOS partition (or disk slice in FreeBSD
slang) for FreeBSD even you want some more then one filesystem. Ok, you
can use some extended BIOS partitions for Linux installation but who does?
Most people I know who install Linux use two BIOS partitons (one for swap)
and put everything into one and only one filesystem. Horribly, what's in
the case of a serious damage to that root file system? You may loose all
your data! The FreeBSD sysinstall is able to create three file systems by
default because FreeBSD does its own partitioning within the one slice. If
/ is damaged you can still mount /usr from the fixit system to save your
important data. And you strongly reduce write operations to / which may
cause problems in case of power or system failure!

Regards
Konrad

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=