Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:10:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible bug in /usr/bin/makewhatis.

:Matt Dillon wrote:
:>
:>     I was doing some installworlds and got a bunch of 'gzcat: Broken pipe'
:>     errors at the very end when it was doing 'makewhatis' on various manual
:>     directories.
:
:It also only happens if you are running ssh to logon to the computer
:doing the makewhatis. You can telnet to the system and you don't see
:the problem.
:
:Kent

    It could easily occur just by virtue of the perl process picking
    up the input data and exiting (killing its side of the pipe) before
    gzcat has a chance to finish writing the manual page to the pipe.
    It can also occur if the pipe buffer is small (causing gzcat to block
    and then have the pipe ripped out from under it).

    I'm thinking the best solution is to have makewhatis drain all remaining
    input prior to closing the file handle.

						-Matt