Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 00:12:33 -0400
From:      Soren Harward <soren@cinternet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *really* slow login times

On Sun 11 Apr 1999 at 15:58:09, Greg Lehey muttered:
> what the problem is.  /etc/group is a file that grows on your system,
> so a fresh one probably won't help.  I'd recommend that you keep the
> one you have (rename it) and try this:

Actually, a "fresh" one will help because I have only one user
account on it (me) and I know my GID so I can just add it easily.
For some reason, my GID is the only thing in the /etc/group file, but
now I can fix it.

> What else do you have running on the system?  It would be interesting
> to see an "ps lt<term>" of the system while it's waiting.  For
> example, if you try to log on to /dev/ttyv2, go to a different VT and
> enter
>
>   $ ps ltv2
>
> The interesting thing here is the WCHAN field, which gives a first
> idea of what could be causing the problem.

hmm, if I could *log in* in the fisr place, I'd do it.  I'll try hacking
something together ...  more later.

--
 Soren Harward <soren@cinternet.net> | Windows DOES come with a tool
 http://www.soren.cinternet.net/     | to restore a corrupt Registry.