Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:03:26 -0800
From:      Brent Kearney <brent@kearneys.ca>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Natd, ipfw, & redirect_port

I know this is covered by previous posts, but the archive is still
not back up, and I can't wait any longer.

I'm running FreeBSD 3.4 on an x86, with NATd & two NICs.  I'm trying
to forward all connections to a particular port on the outside
machine, to a particular port on on an inside machine (for ssh). I've
done this before (under 3.2 I think), and I don't remember it being
difficult at all.  However, it's not working.

Here's my natd rc.conf line:

natd_flags="-n pn0 -m -log_denied -f /etc/natd.conf"

And my natd.conf:

redirect_port tcp Plato:22 2200
redirect_port udp Plato:22 2200

One difference between my old setup (3.2) and the new one, is that now
I have default_to_accept disabled, so my firewall rules are quite a
bit tighter.  However, because one of the first rules passes all IP
traffic to natd, do I need anything else?

I tried this, to no avail, anyways (from rc.firewall):

Allow connections to port 2200 for ssh access to Plato
    $fwcmd add pass tcp from any to any 2200 setup
    $fwcmd add pass udp from any to any 2200

Any connection attempts to port 2200 just sit there.  I know the
problem is not on the internal machine (Plato), because computers on
the LAN have no problem connecting with ssh to it.

Thanks for your help.

-Brent