Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:06:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        Andrew Reilly <a.reilly@lake.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, Soren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Undesirable behaviour of burncd erase

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Andrew Reilly wrote:

> The other disks are masters on each of the two ATA controllers:
>
> ad0: 6149MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL EX6.4A> [13328/15/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
> ad1: 6149MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL EX6.4A> [13328/15/63] at ata1-master UDMA33
>
> After producing a non-working CD with burncd, probably because of
> the ill-advised placement of a "data" file, I tried to erase the
> CD-RW disk before trying again.  So I did something like:
>
> burncd -e -f /dev/acd0c erase

Andrew how about using blank instead of erase?
Doesn't seem to freeze or have any problems on my machine.

From the man page:
Blank a CD-RW medium.  This uses the fast blanking method,
so data are not physically overwritten, only those areas
that make the media appear blank for further usage are
erased.

Any benefits of using erase over blank?
Also I don't know if it would matter, but on which channel do you have the
CD? I have it on the secondary as to not affect/interfere with the OS. I
have few things on my second disk so I rarely access the CD and the second
disk at the same time.

Another inmediate work around until the changes Soren mentioned may be to
perhaps get an IDE card. This way the IDE channels would not be the same.