Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:28:44 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installs of Multiple Servers

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 14:30 -0400, Chad Ziccardi wrote:

> I'm looking for the best way to install multiple servers and
> keep them updated.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> I'm looking for the easiest way to keep them all updated when
> need be. we have 1 box that tracks stable by-weekly, if needed
> I wish to run a script on the servers to update them to the
> current -stable. I'm guessing this would be easiest by mounting
> /usr/src /usr/obj and running make installworld.

This seems to be better than "make release" and updating.  Since
I've just been there (see my post from a few weeks ago) now I
know the steps to go:

on the server:
- edit make.conf and cvsup-files (once)
- export /usr with -alldirs (once)
- make update
- make buildworld

on the server and any other machine:
- mount /usr/src (ro?) and /usr/obj (not at the server, of
  course:)
- make installworld
- mergemaster [ -s -v ]
- build kernel
- install kernel
- reboot

You can even start the NFS server for this action only and
shutdown the programs later.

Mergemaster will even respect the machines' individual setup --
if they had any.  But even if they don't now, I guess sooner or
later they do.

But make sure not to proceed with errors.  Take care to take the
next step only if the previous succeeded.  Especially booting
into a non functional system is not a good idea.  Just as well as
having kernel and world drift apart.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net