Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:21:43 -0500
From:      "David Lee" <David.Lee.ddlee@nt.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   IDE Hard Drives

I have a question about what IDE drive I can install FreeBSD on.  I have
a hard drive on my primary master with MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11
installed, a CD-ROM on my primary slave and a hard drive on my secondary
master with Linux Red Hat 5.0 installed.  I am wondering if FreeBSD
could be install on a hard drive which is the secondary slave?

Also, can it be installed on a hard drive above cylinder 1024?  Linux
claims that this may not work (as does FreeBSD), however it does work
just fine.  Linux installs without complaining.  The boot loader called
"LILO" installs with a warning, but seems to work just fine.  Has this
been tried with FreeBSD?  Also, is this a function of my BIOS?

Another question ... about changing shells.  What is the proper way to
change shells?  I was using FreeBSD 2.2.2 and the command "chsh".  I was
trying to change from csh to bash.  However, after I changed shells,
none of the bash startup files seemed to work.  My path was not properly
defined, now did my prompt work as it was supposed.

One more question.  Is it worthwhile to upgrade to FreeBSD 2.2.5 from
2.2.2?  I found some things with 2.2.2 that I didn't like, such as the
documentation, and I was wondering whether the improvements are big
enough to warrant buying the new 2.2.5 CD's.  Please let me know your
opinion.

Thanks for you prompt help.  The times that I have sent questions here,
they are always answered quickly and with great info.  Keep up the great
work!

Dave Lee

5B52
ESN 395-2162