Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 20:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        Dror Matalon <dror@hopf.dnai.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ERROR info:747d9d asc:11,0 Unrecovered read ...other SCSI issues

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Dror Matalon wrote:

> >room that you need to put on a sweater when you go in. It also helps to
> >use RAID (http://www.mylex.com DAC960SI) because it lessens the physical
> >activity on any one drive to some extent. And the special fans to blow air
> >across the top of each individual drive. The nice thing about a DAC960 is
> >that with a proper hot-swap chassis and RAID 5, replacing a drive doesn't
> >shut anything down.
>
> I'd love using some kind of RAID solution. So far I haven't found anything
> that I really like, and that has been tested. Are you using the mylex
> RAID?

I've used the DAC960E under SCO UNIX with RAID 5 on IBM servers and AST
Manhattan servers. It works great, especially when you have a hot swap
chassis.

> I looked at it a while ago and it sounded like an interesting solution,
> but I first wanted to hear about other people using it.

I have read at least one account of somebody using the SI version with
FreeBSD but it was a while ago and I forget the details.

> I actually think that someone could make nice bucks, by putting together
> a FreeBsd box with redundant Power supplies, fans, Scsi controllers etc
> and make it a, relatively, cheap NFS appliance.

Tell your favourite dealer this. SOme I have run across that might be
interested are http://www.promox.com  http://www.apache.com
http://www.justcomp.com  http://www.varesearch.com

Michael Dillon                                   ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael@memra.com