Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:41:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        brooks@one-eyed-alien.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, j mckitrick mumbled:

> What clock speed is that CPU?  And what kind of apps are run on a
> workstation of this type?  I guess i'm just wondering what people use
> SOlaris machines for besides servers.  WHat do they do well that windows
> machines don't do well?

We use a Solaris Ultra 10 as both a server and a workstation. As a
server, we run qmail and Apache+IBM WebSphere for development and
testing. As a workstation, we have one or two people who constantly do
Java development and want a reference build of Java to work off of.

I'd personally take the money it costs for an Ultra 10 and build a
nice x86 (or even an Alpha) workstation.

Anywho... you can get a PCi card for the Ultra 5 (and I think the
Ultra 10) that allows you to run Windows on your SPARC machine
:-) It's slow as heck, that's for sure!

// Linh Pham
// http://closedsrc.org