Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:14:25 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd supported - VM Ware

At 9:58 PM -0500 3/3/99, Dru wrote:
> Has anyone seen this yet?
>
> http://www.windowstechedge.com/wte-1999-03/wte-03-vmware.html?0301
>
> Interesting concept.  Even more interesting that FreeBSD is one
> of the supported operating systems.  Think of the ramifications:
> users can compare FreeBSD to 7 other operating systems and decide
> for themselves.

I have noticed a few articles on this.  It is quite interesting to
me, too.  One thing to note is that it supports FreeBSD as a guest
operating system, but not as a host operating system.  Initially
it will run on linux as a host operating system, and a little later
they hope to have it run on WinNT as a host operating system.

For my own purposes, it would be much nicer to have freebsd or
openbsd supported as a host operating system.  I could setup a
machine with linux and run vmware under that, but I know a lot
more about administering FreeBSD than linux, and would rather
have my main system be FreeBSD (OpenBSD would be fine with me
too, since I like the emphasis on security that's in OpenBSD).

I sent them a polite request to them, noting that I will probably
buy a copy to run on linux, but I would feel a lot more comfortable
if there were a freebsd version available.  They said they are
considering additional host platforms, and that they would save
my request

Perhaps it would be good (well, for me...) if a few other *BSD'ers
might look at the product, too.  If it is something that you really
would buy, then send them along a similar request.  See also
http://www.vmware.com

Please keep any messages to ADVOCATING freebsd, and not insulting
them for writing a program for linux.  The fact that they are
testing (and mentioning) FreeBSD as a guest operating system shows
that they already know FreeBSD is worth some attention.  We just
have to show that it's also a worthwhile investment for them to
support it as a host operating system. If this program works as
advertised, it could be a very useful program for someone like me.
It looks like it could be great for debugging cross-platform issues
of a given program, for instance.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute