Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:12:33 -0800
From:      Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't compile jdk15 on amd64 5.3-STABLE

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 00:04 -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 07:35:56PM -0500, Nicolas Blais wrote:
> > Actually, I can build jdk15 on a amd64 6-CURRENT machine and I can't on a
> > amd64 5.3-STABLE. Yes I believe  (as well as others) that it is due to a
> > maximum command line size (as mentioned, the javac command during that point
> > in the makefile is about 25000 char long and on my -STABLE I can only get
> > 16384)
>
> I don't know why so many think that 6-CURRENT has a greater maximum
> command line size than 5-STABLE.  Anyway, I just committed a change to
> 6-STABLE to increase it (based on a thread in freebsd-current@ from back
> in Sept. 2004).  I'll MFC it for 5-STABLE.
>
> If there is some other sizing difference, then those affected need to
> track it down and point out what it is so we can deal with it.

The problem is that a Linux emulated program (linux-sun-jdk) would die
with something like bad address printed to the stderr/stdout.  It isn't
the command line size alone (I don't think).  Once I got past that
initial failure, I am able to rebuilt jdk15 natively without any issues.

So I'd say there is a problem with the linux32 emulation.

Cheers,
Sean