Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2018 15:06:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Simon Connah <scopensource@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any plans to increase the maximum number of virtual CPUs above 16?

> I was reading the bhyve man page and noticed that it said the maximum
> number of virtual CPUs is limited to 16. With AMD Epyc being out with 32
> cores and 64 threads per CPU and being able to have 2 of them in one
> system this number seems rather low by modern standards.

So you can run 4 x 16 vcpu VM's, probably more common than
someone trying to run 1 VM of 32 or 64 vcpu.

> Are there any plans to increase this number to something like 32 virtual
> CPUs?

There is work in process to change this from a compile time
kernel constant to a per VM value set using the undocumnted,
but present value in the cpu_topology option max_cpu.

We do not want to just crank this value up as data structures
for each VM are sized on the MAXCPU connstant, and doubling
that to 32 would be fairly wasteful for low core count VM's.