Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 21:22:07 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'microuptime() went backwards ...' using ACPI timer. Shouldn't that be impossible?

In message <200202171846.g1HIkCQ71367@apollo.backplane.com>, Matthew Dillon wri
tes:
>:I just wrote the following fix for some of the overflow problems.
>
>    I don't understand how this code is supposed to handle overflows.
>    You seem only to be checking to see if the master timecounter has
>    changed to a different type.

Bruce's patch amounts to a retry if the current timecounter was updated
while we were calculating time.  It is a bit more defensive than it
needs to be and generally pessimizes the timecounters elegant lockless
design a fair bit, but it is still much better than slamming a mutex
around the entire clock code.

If this patch cures the PIIX problem, something I'm not at all convinced
about, it should go in, if not only the comment should go in.

Poul-Henning