Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:14:30 -0500
From:      "Ken Menzel" <kenm@icarz.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vmstat reports incorrect CPU usage

Sorry for the noise,  in replying to my own post however David
Wolfskill pointed out my error.  From the man page:
 -c  Repeat the display count times.  The first display is for the
      time since a reboot and each subsequent report is for the time
      period since the last display.  If no repeat count is specified,
      and -w is specified, the default is infinity, otherwise the
      default is one.

So the first line is CPU usage since last reboot,  you MUST give a
delay and count in order to get current CPU usage.  vmstat works fine
then and agrees with top, the sysadmin can't read very well, but can
get back to trying to recreate 'sar' from SCO unix.

Thanks again David,
Ken