Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:02:30 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        n_hibma@webweaving.org (Nick Hibma)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White), havoc@Cal30B054.student.utwente.nl (Theo van Klaveren), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with the ATA-driver

It seems Nick Hibma wrote:
> > > Mentioning it in the manpage should be sufficient I guess. Blacklisting
> > > devices sounds like a good idea if tey fail to work correctly in many
> > > cases.
> >
> > The problem being how to get a list that is "good enough" for the
> > majority of cases.
>
> I'd like to see it the other way around: Make sure it works in all cases
> and _then_ try to narrow down the bad cases. Being part of GENERIC
> implies that it works in all cases, even if performance is lacking in
> most cases. After all you won't be able to recompile a kernel that works
> for you if you are not able to install FreeBSD in the first place.

Yeah, but last time I did that you should have seen the number of complaints
I received :)
However I hope to have fixed most of the problems with drives setup
from the BIOS to a DMA mode, but run by ata in PIO mode.
Then I'll add the restrictions again, together with a way to force a
given mode on a drive. That way you can hurt yourself if you think
your drive can do more than it supports :)

-Søren