Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 06:12:02 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        andrewr <andrewr@slack.net>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, Alexandre Snarskii <snar@paranoia.ru>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Projects to improve security (related to C)

> 	If the FreeBSD core members wish to do a full scale security
> audit, then, hey, make a call out for people who would like be on the

The FreeBSD core team members, by and large, already have TODO lists
stretching well into next year.  Do we want an audit to happen?  Yes,
of course.  Do we have time to do all the work ourselves or even
actively lead such a project in day-to-day operations?  Probably not,
no.  We've already gone through one security officer and another has
come close to resigning several times due to lack of time (these
people have real jobs too, you know!) - it is a real problem which
will only be mitigated by more USERS stepping up to the plate and
becoming volunteers themselves.  They also need someone to lead them
in this effort, probably more than one person, and this is also an
area where users can contribute their time and energy.  Do I hear
Andrew volunteering here? :-)

- Jordan