Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:25:40 -0400
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How broken is IBSS creation (wicontrol) these days ?

I just got IBSS working on a 4.4-STABLE box (in the PCI carrier,
for what it's worth).

When using the Agere (aka Orinoco aka Lucent) drivers (latest) on
a Windows box it finds the FreeBSD box as a 'Peer to Peer' network.
It can detect the network name and channel, although it takes it
a long time.  Setting the network name and channel makes it go much
quicker.  I get no signal strength meter, can't do site monitoring
or link testing, but it works fine.  In talking with some other
friends, it appears on the older lucent drivers you must set the
netname for it to find it at all.

From my limited understanding of the spec the lack of signal strength
is a result of being in peer to peer mode.  The card can only keep
one set of stats -- it normally communicates only to the AP (even
if talking to another card, works just like 10baseT going to the
'hub' and back).  In peer-to-peer mode it talks to a random number
of other cards directly, and it just can't keep the stats.

It sounds like your two boxes are almost right.  I had some issues with
WEP, but it doesn't look like you're using it.  (WEP works fine if you
make everything match, really. :-)  Make sure you ifconfig wi0 up
if you're not otherwise configuring it.

I wish it could work as a proper access point.  My understanding
is that configuring the bits on the card is easy, but there's some
confusion over how to program the card (and/or do the right things
in the driver) to make the relay of 802.11 frames work right.  I'm
not sure who's working on that, but if I can help here's an offer.

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440